Pharyngitis is an inflammation of the pharynx or throat which is usually associated with a virus or, as in the case of a strep throat, a bacteria.
The most distressing symptom is usually a mild to severe pain in the throat, which may extend to the ears. There may be a simultaneous upperrespiratory infection, bronchitis, or flu.
An untreated Group A Beta-hemolytic strep infection may lead to rheumatic fever or joint problems.
- For throat pain of very rapid onset with a high fever, give Aconite or Belladonna.
- If it feels better from cold drinks, first look at Apis.
- If the main symptom is swilling, give Apis or Phytolacca.
- For very red sore throats, the best medicines are Belladonna and Apis.
- For a burning, right sided sore throat in a person with a bright red face and ear pain, give Belladonna.
- For right sided sore throats, think of Belladonna, Apis, Lycopodium, Phytolacca, and Mercurius iodatus flavus.
- The medicines to give for sore throats that have the most pain on swallowing are Lachesis, Hepar sulphuris, Belladonna, and Mercurius.
- For left sided sore throats, consider, Lachesis first, then, more rarely, Mercurius iodatus ruber.
- The first medicine to consider for sore throats that start on the left then move to the right is Lachesis.
- For sore throats that begin on the right then go to the left, look at Lycopodium.
- If the sore throat feels better form warm drinks, think first of Lycopodium.
Self Care and Home Remedies
- Gargle with warm salt water three times a day.
- Gargle with one teaspoon of Calendula tincture in one cup of warm water.
- Suck on zinc lozenges. (Avoid any lozenges with menthol, camphor, or eucalyptus, since they interfere with homoeopathic treatment.)
- Take Vitamin C (3000mg a day) in divided doses of 500mg. Cut the dose in half for a child and give a maximum of 250mg to a baby.
- Take Echinacea and goldenseal tincture in water (one half teaspoon every two hours, up to six does a day).
- Avoid dairy products and sweets.
- Drink one to two glasses of fresh carrot juice per day.